In the spring of this year Redcar and Cleveland Council announced that along with a number of other assets the former school was to be disposed of. SCAA were aware that redundant assets of the council could be secured for community benefit by Community Asset Transfer (CAT).
|Saltburn's old Junior School Marske Mill Base|
From this work a big idea has emerged, to build on the impressive levels of creative activity which already exists in Saltburn and the surrounding area under the title of The Works @ Marske Mill. Provision will include:
· Studio and exhibition space along with specialist resources to support a wide range of art and creative activity.
· Space for drama and music rehearsal and performance.
· Provision of an accessible local archive.
· Space for sport and outdoor activities including junior football and a skatepark.
· An enhancement of tourism through the establishment of a holiday hostel and campsite and support to environmentally friendly transport.
As this document is being prepared we are looking forward to the next public meeting. This is to be held at 6.00pm on Friday, 28th October in the Community Hall at SCAA Albion Terrace, Saltburn.
To learn more about these exiting proposals please visit the website at http://www.saltburnarts.co.uk/the-works-marske-mill/ or contact SCAA on 01287 624997.